The book, Spirit Lake Massacre, was donated by Mrs. Sharp with the provision that it be put aside during the summer months so as not to spoil her sales of the book.
1914: Shortly after the new school was completed, the books were returned to the schoolhouse where they were added to the school library.
1921: Owing to the need for a public library and also prompted by the offer of a gift of 315 volumes from D.W. Dickinson, M.D., a committee was appointed to petition the city council. the public voted to establish a library in a special election. The library was again open to the public, a room having been set aside for that purpose at the schoolhouse.
Fall of 1926: The library was temporarily located on Highway 71at the site of the Koffee Kup Kafe. It had been a Gateswood Cottage and was donated for a library site by Mrs. Martha Gates upon her death. Mrs. Inez Elston, a pioneer resident of Arnolds Park, was librarian and Miss Edna Netzke, known for her quilts, was assistant librarian.
1933: City Hall was completed and the library moved into the east half of the first floor. The Gateswood site was sold to the Gates heirs and that fund of $5,000 was turned over to the City for use of room in the City Hall. There was space for a children's room and a reading area.
March 1949 to 1965: Mrs. Max Buck (Mary) was librarian. The library began in two empty rooms of City Hall with 2,300 books, no magazines, and few reference materials. Annual circulation was 3,600 books. In 1955 there were 3,000 books. By 1965 there were 8,775 books and an annual circulation of 12,326.
1955 to 1958: Mrs. Harold Shumaker was librarian. She had been assistant librarian for ten years previously.
1966 to 1967: Mrs. Howard Walsh (Betty) was librarian. Mrs. Martha Hinshaw was assistant librarian.
1967 to 1977: Mrs. Mildred Olson was librarian. Mrs. Hinshaw continued as assistant.
October, 1976: The library and a community room were put into the new addition to the school building. The library owned 11,500 books and 45 magazine subscriptions.
Late 1970's: Mrs. Vivian Frost worked at the library as an assistant. She also served as head librarian for several months while the director was on medical leave.
June, 1977 to July, 1985: Mrs. Hinshaw was librarian.